Minor In Possession

Minor in Possession – New MIP Laws Go Into Effect!!!


Michigan’s governor has signed into legislation that after January 1, 2018 a first offense Minor in Possession of Alcohol (MIP) will be a civil infraction carrying a $100 fine. This is a blessing AND a curse for the minors across the State of Michigan. One one hand, many students and young people who make an honest mistake will benefit from less red tape and will keep their records clean. One the other hand, those that plan on drinking throughout their college careers or have any type of alcohol problem, this new law could open the floodgates of charges.

This is especially true of the new 2nd offense rules. If you receive a second offense, you could face up to 30 days in jail!!  This is a major change from the current statute that states you can only receive jail time AFTER a violation of probation. So imagine a judge like Ken Post (now retired) in the Hudsonville District Court with free reign to order 30 days in jail after only one civil infraction! It will also happen on the other side of the state as there are hard-line judges scattered throughout Michigan’s district courts.

Please be prepared for these new changes and FIGHT YOUR CIVIL INFRACTION!!  There are relaxed rules for demanding a hearing with the judge in civil infractions and a skilled defense attorney like Ray Purdy will have a chance to cross-examine the police officer with no chance of you receiving either jail time or a criminal conviction. Do NOT simply pay your fine and think it will go away. The consequences for the second offense are very severe.

We believe that this new law will also create an incentive for the police to organize even more “party patrols” and seek out minors drinking on college campuses. If you have been targeted by one of these party patrols, contact an attorney immediately to make sure that your rights were preserved. Attorney Ray Purdy has been handling MIP charges for many years and can help.

Contact Attorney Purdy today at (616) 502-1646 for a free MIP consultation.

Minor In Possession Charges at Grand Valley State University

If you have been charged with a Minor in Possession of Alcohol (MIP) and you are a student at Grand Valley State University, you need to pay special attention to this charge. You will most likely have to appear at the 58th District Court for Ottawa County located in Hudsonville.

The court has very specific requirements to complete their diversion program.  Attorney Ray Purdy has handled many of these charges and can help you make your way through this court system.

This is a charge that can have consequences for your future that may include difficulty getting financial aid; obtaining employment after graduation; securing a spot in highly competitive graduate or professional schools; and obtaining state licensing certification such as teaching and law.  Even after the new law change, you are still at risk for future penalties.

Contact the Law Offices of Ray Purdy immediately at (616) 502-1646 for a free consultation concerning your MIP charges.

Minor in Possession Charges in Grand Haven and Holland

If you have been charged with a Minor in Possession of Alcohol charge and your district court is located in Grand Haven or Holland, the Law Offices of Ray Purdy can certainly help. The judges in these courts do offer the first offender diversion program, but you need to make sure you take steps immediately to qualify.

Contact Ray Purdy today at (616) 502-1646 for a free consultation on charges in Holland and Grand Haven District Courts.